Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Super Moist Healthier Choice Pumpkin Bread


This is my son's favorite recipe!   I have tried this recipe with both canned pumpkin and with cooked/roasted pumpkin.  My son prefers it from a roasted pumpkin (me too and it's much healthier!).  You can experiment yourself and see what suits your fancy.   I've tried a Paleo version, using almond flour & coconut flour instead of regular flour... they just didn't pass my little man's test!

INGREDIENTS
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 to 2/3 cup honey
2 cups pumpkin puree
2/3 cup applesauce (this replaces your oil)
2/3 cup Coconut Milk (I purchase mine in a can in Asian Isle at grocery store)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
4 tablespoons ground flax seed
Optional: 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts (I don't use this for my son's muffins/loafs, 
but the rest of us eat it with the nuts - see pic above - the bottom right loaf has walnuts)
Optional: 1/2 cup flaked coconut (I've only used this once)

DIRECTIONS
If you want to go the real pumpkin route, YAY!!!  It's really easy!  If you have never done it before, here's a great website that shows illustrated instructions on how to do it:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Spray oil onto 8x4 inch pans, or go smaller like me and use 6x3 inch mini loaf pans (mine is a Pampered Chef brand in case you are wondering). I also do muffins for my little munckin too!
2.  In a large bowl, combine flour, ground flax seed, brown sugar, honey, pumpkin puree, applesauce, coconut milk, baking soda, sea salt, nutmeg,and cinnamon.  Mix up until you can't see any more "white" flour.  If you want to do the optionals (nuts or coconut), go on and fold those in at this time.  Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
3.  Bake for 1 hr/15 min OR until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Smaller loaf pans (like mine) or muffin pans will take less time!!  Remove from over and cover the bread/muffins with foil tightly to keep steam in.  Allow to steam for 10 minutes (this is what keeps it moist inside!).  Remove foil and turn out onto a cooling rack.  Lay the foil back on top of the bread/muffins loosely like a "tent" until they have all cooled completely.

They are super moist!!!   I bet it would taste great with mushed bananas in it instead of applesauce (another great healthy alternative!).  There are several healthy versions you can do; however, you tend to lose the taste if you do more than 3 substitutions.  My philosophy is... I won't eat cardboard, but I will go as healthy as I can without giving up flavor!!  Just eat smaller portions!

I have to share with you my Little Man Taste Tester....
Happy Holidays!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment